Extreme Corals News and Updates
Choosing a lighting system can be a daunting task. We are here to help decide what fits best for your reef tank
Read more to find out the factors in determining what lights you need for your specific corals and reef tank
by scott Shiles • February 21, 2023
The best lighting for a home reef tank depends on the specific needs of the coral species you are keeping. In general, however, most corals require high-intensity lighting in the blue and white spectrum to thrive.
There are several types of lighting systems commonly used in reef aquariums, including fluorescent, metal halide, and LED lights. LED lights are becoming increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency and ability to produce the right spectrum of light for coral growth.
When selecting a lighting system for your reef tank, consider the following factors:
- Light intensity: Corals need high-intensity light to grow and thrive, so look for a lighting system that can deliver the appropriate level of light for the corals you plan to keep.
- Color temperature: The color temperature of the light affects the appearance of the corals, so look for a lighting system that can produce the right balance of blue and white light.
- Cost: The cost of lighting systems can vary widely, so choose a system that fits your budget while still meeting the needs of your corals.
- Ease of use: Some lighting systems require more maintenance than others, so choose a system that is easy to use and maintain.
- Customizability: Look for a lighting system that allows you to adjust the intensity and color temperature of the light to best suit your coral species.
Ultimately, it is important to research the lighting requirements of the specific coral species you plan to keep and choose a lighting system that can meet those requirements. See more details for specific needs at our Coral Care page.